Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Saint (Day Forty One)

     July 21st, 2012 - Chennai, India
     Free days do not mean that we are not serving the LORD and He is not in control of everything that happens. We did not go out on ministry, but today God changed our hearts and continued to show us how we are set free from sin.
     This morning we visited the place where St. Thomas is believed to have been martyred as well as the cave where he spent much time praying and is believed to have been cast out of on the day he was martyred. Thomas was the first missionary to India and I was in the cave where he spent so much of his time praying. Years later, here I am in the same country, in the same region, doing the same thing that Thomas died for. Praise the Lord for His faithfulness! This country will hear! At the top of the mountain, where he was killed, there is a piece of finger bone that is believed to have been Thomas'. 
     Thomas died for the Gospel, yet he was the one who declared he needed evidence that Jesus rose from the dead (John 20). He doubted, but I have my doubts at times as well. Even though I have doubts, that does not mean that I am unwilling to die for the cause of Christ. He alone is worthy.
     When we returned to our hotel, I talked with several of the girls about our hopes and desires on this trip as well as the vision for when we get home. In a few short days, I will be on a plane back to the States. How will I live differently and what does Jesus want for my next year?
     I realized that in Nepal I wanted boldness. Boldness to share the Gospel and go forward with truth. Megan pushed me so hard every time we were on ministry, and because of that I am able to be bold here in India, and I believe I will be bold back at home. I told Megan how much I appreciated her and how thankful I am that she pushed me towards my goal. She said to me that I have changed a lot on this trip. I may have started still a girl, but as I finish my last week, I have become a woman of God. When I go home, I want to have the same boldness. What God has done in me and through me here on the other side of the world does not end when I leave. It will change every part of my life.
     Tonight was our relationship talk and I was reminded how much of a choice I have to make to be unselfish and centered on Christ in every relationship: with my parents, my siblings, my friends, my coworkers- every interaction.
     At dinner I had a long talk with Rachel about keeping each other accountable in our relationships and not being at all self seeking, even if it means discontinuing a relationship. After dinner, all of the girls went to the roof to talk with Marissa, Joy and Wendy. we started by asking questions, but it turned into a night of inviting others to hold us accountable in our lives. 
     As we walked down the stairs, received hugs from Marissa and joyfully headed for our rooms, we all felt changed. When I got back to my room, it only took a few minutes before we found out that we were locked in our room. It took half an hour before Andy and Marissa saved us, but we were glad when they did. 
     This afternoon I got messages from people at home and they were so encouraging! So many people told me how they think I am cut out to be a missionary and God has been reaffirming the desire in me for being a missionary overseas after high school. I am so blessed that God wants to use me and will use me. Thank you Jesus for the freedom and grace.
     'If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness ' -1 John 1:9


Jessica, my lovely MIG leader!


Bethy and I!

Squatty Potty!

The finger bone of Thomas was up there.

The cave where Thomas prayed.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment